This post is created as the class notes for a social media class (Managing Social Media) I am teaching next week at Colorado Community College. These are our notes for a 2 hour class!
Top Considerations we will discuss:
- Business vs Personal usage
- Are you a content creator?
- What social media platform(s) are best for you?
- Are you interesting? Human interesting?
- Don’t be a megaphone
- Setting up accounts vs using the accounts
Do you have specific tactical goals?
- Collecting email addresses?
- Getting reviews?
- Staying in touch with clients or network
- Generate fresh business
- Best for: Nearly Everyone. Wide General audience
- Worst for: Younger types.
- the NewsFeed is the battleground! Tip: Learn why you show up in the newsfeed (or not)
- Your Biz Page should be fully built out. It is good business, even if you don’t post.
- Facebook owns Instagram
- Learn how to Boost Posts
- Engage with others… Facebook is not a megaphone
- 25 Facebook Marketing Tips has some good basics on optimizing your page, getting into the newsfeed, and advertising
- Facebook Testing has the results of some experiments… Good read!
- How to Create and Manage a Facebook Business Page is an excellent resource to make sure your page lives up to its potential
- Local Pages: High Country Gems and Minerals, New Castle Liquors and Murray Dental
- Best for: B2B communication and networking
- Advertising is more expensive, but uniquely capable of targeting business
- Easy to re-publish
- Definitely have a personal and business page… and fully-complete them.
- Create a business page:
- Login in as yourself
- Add your company as an “employer” in your work experience
- Makes sure you have “intermediate” status or higher (if you don’t, you need to make more connections!)
- Add you company email address (@yourdomain.com!) to your account and confirm it. (click here for more)
- NOW, you can create a company page, and it is anchored to your personal account. (click here for more)
- Best for: Moms (from young to old)
- Highly Visual
- Archival vs NewsFeed Friendly
- Best for: Younger demographic
- Best for: certain topics – News, Politics, Sports
- Easy to re-publish
Instagram and Snapchat:
- Best for: Photography and smart-phones
- Best for: Young Demographic… teenagers especially
- Best for: don’t bother
- Do: setup profile page and get reviews!